The Inn, which is listed on the National Historic Register, has been meticulously and accurately restored to its mid-19th century appearance. Our guests are not just visitors, but rather a part of a living 18th century restored Moravian town, which maintains the spirit, character and ambiance of its Moravian founders.
The Inn is named for Augustus T. Zevely (1816-1872), a saddler, doctor, and mayor of Salem. As a young man, Augustus was sent to the Moravian Boys School in Nazareth, Pennsylvania, to learn the saddler’s trade. He returned to Salem to set up shop in 1836, but stayed for only a little over a year, leaving to study medicine at Jefferson College in Philadelphia. Augustus graduated with a medical degree from Jefferson College in 1840, and again returned to Salem to begin his practice. In October 1840, he married Lucinda Paulina Blum. Dr. and Mrs. Zevely had five children, for whom some of our guest rooms are named.
In June 1845, Dr. Zevely purchased this house which had been constructed by David Blum the year before. The house served as Dr. Zevely’s office, and also functioned as an inn for travelers the Salem Tavern could not accommodate.
Address803 S Main St
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.