Belmont Plantation, Est 1857 is the last antebellum mansion along the river in the Mississippi Delta, standing at over 9,000 square feet. The house and the grounds have undergone an extensive restoration and all rooms are available for weddings, events, tours, B&B accommodations, and corporate retreats!
Inside, Belmont features some of the finest decorative plaster work in Mississippi. Local lore holds that German plaster artists were stranded in Washington County when the Civil War started; having no means of escape and no other work, they whiled away the war years by carving intricate molding and ceiling medallions into Belmont’s plaster. Another version relates that Dr. Worthington met a group of Italian carvers on a boat trip to New Orleans and convinced them to return with him to Belmont. Regardless of its origins, the decorative work in Belmont rivals the finest interiors of Natchez or Columbus.
The large central hall is backed by an elegantly turned stair. Two rooms open on either side of the hallway. To the right, the formal rooms can be divided by huge wooden doors which glide in and out of the walls. On the left [is a music room and a library]. Upstairs are four bedrooms, separated by a wide hallway that serves as a drawing room. Ceilings soar to fourteen feet on both levels. A two-story ell adds several more bedrooms, kitchen space, and [the formal dining room], all opening onto long, high-ceilinged screen porches that look out over endless cotton fields. Altogether, the house encompasses nine thousand square feet, with three thousand square feet of porch space, ten bedrooms, and twelve fireplaces.
Address3498 Hwy 1 S
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.