The builder of Shadowlawn, Benjamin Catley, was born in England, had 2 children in Canada, and was in Columbus by 1839. On August 1st, 1848, he bought this entire city block from the Franklin School for $9.00, but the stipulation was he had to have it paid before sundown that day.
Ten Families have lived in the house.
Mr & Mrs TA McGahey, owners of the local marble works company at that time, bought the house in the early 20’s. The McGaheys modernized the home, as was the custom in their time. Mrs. McGahee redid the plaster on the walls, redid the fireplaces with marble, refloored the downstairs, added the kitchen, bathrooms and closets.
The porch was originally wooden. There was a car accident at this corner and a car came into the yard and crashed causing a lot of damage to the northeast side of the porch. They replaced the wood with marble when they repaired the porch.
When we, the Avakians bought the house, the restoration had already started taking place. The changes made during this were as follows: The door in the master bedroom that had been cut in the 20’s for the bathroom was closed to make the structure original again. The house has had totally new plumbing and wiring. It now had 3 central units, two downstairs and 1 upstairs. It has natural gas heat, water heater and cooktop. It has electric airconditioning. It has a sauna and exercise room off the garage and a self contained guest house in the back of the yard. It also has a large fish pond with a fountain and a small fish pond with a small fountain.
Address1024 College St
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.