The Summit Inn is one of the last remaining grand porch hotels in America. The history of The Summit Inn really begins in 1806 when Albert Gallatin, the Secretary of the Treasury under President Thomas Jefferson, suggested a National Road “to connect the East with the West”. Albert Gallatin lived only twenty miles from the present day Summit Inn.
Construction on the National Road began in 1813 and was made public in 1818. It remained one of the largest internal improvements made by the Federal Government until the Civil War and was the principal way west for at least 50 years. The road was justly renowned for the great number and excellence of its inns, and taverns. As the road wound through the Laurel Mountains nearly every mile had it’s own tavern.
Atop the Summit Mountain of Chestnut Ridge was one such tavern. It was known as the Fayette Springs Hotel and sat across the road from the existing Summit Inn. In the second half of the 19th century, both the National Road and the Fayette Springs Hotel fell into disrepair. In the early 1900’s, the State of Pennsylvania took over the road and the improvements made the idea of a hotel inviting once more.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.