It is rumored that the Valley Green Inn was established in 1683.
Well, almost… The Valley Green Inn is built on land that was part of a several hundred acre tract purchased from William Penn in 1685. It had absentee owners in England and Ireland until 1791 when it was bought by the Livezey family who ran a large grist mill downstream.
In about the year 1850, Thomas Livezey rented to Edward Rinker about three acres of land on the Wissahickon Creek below and adjoining the stone arch bridge. He was to build a house and had the privilege of having boats on the stream to accommodate picnics. He paid two years rent January 2, 1852 of $50.
Rinker may have first built a smaller dwelling and then soon after built a larger building he named the Valley Green Hotel. There followed a succession of innkeepers throughout the nineteenth century, all who no doubt served catfish, waffles, and chicken dinners; the popular fare of other Wissahickon establishments.
The Valley Green Hotel was built during 1850-51 at the same time as the Wissahickon Turnpike (Lincoln Drive) was being completed. The turnpike brought recreational visitors into the Valley by carriage and horseback to view the lovely scenery.
In 1868, the newly created Fairmount Park Commission appropriated the creek and its banks, including the turnpike, and they improved the condition of the road and removed the toll gates. The Livezeys then sold the hotel to the Park in 1873.
AddressValley Green Rd
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.