In 1840, The Castle began its life as a plain, yet substantial, stone house built by the Union Mining Company. Just before the turn of the century, the house was purchased by a young entrepeneur from Scotland, Andrew Ramsay. Ramsay was the owner of the Mt. Savage Enameled Brickworks Company which was enormously successful in producing a special colored, glazed brick that was highly sought after for its smooth, bright, easily cleaned surface. Mr. Ramsay used his new found wealth to convert the stone house into a replica of Craig Castle, which he had seen near his home in Scotland. Large verandahs and terraces of glazed tile were constructed around the house. Ramsay also added an entire third floor and a kitchen-library wing which almost doubled the size of the home. A large carriage house, formal gardens, and a tennis court were added to the two acre grounds. As a finishing touch, Ramsay surrounded the entire property with a sixteen foot stone wall. Mr. Ramsay and his family lived at The Castle until the Great Depression when his fortune was lost and the house was sold off.
Address15925 Mt Savage Rd NW
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.