The Island Inn sits atop a bluff looking west over Monhegan Harbor toward the ocean and in the evening it provides a perfect location to view the dramatic sunsets and the magnificent colors that accompany them. Monhegan is located 10 miles off the coast of Maine at latitude 43 degrees 46 minutes and longitude 69 degrees 19 minutes.
The main building dates from 1816, when it was known as the Pink House, which was extended in 1907 to satisfy the need of the increasing number of visitors to Monhegan. It was last enlarged in 1910 to form The Island Inn as it is seen today. Its architecture represents a classic turn of the century style of summer hotel much reproduced in the early part of the 20th century but rarely found today. The Pierce Cottage, which sits on the meadow road and looks toward the lighthouse, with beautiful views of the island, was added to the property in 1924 by the Tribler sisters who had taken over the Inn that year from Frank Pierce. Pierce began the story of The Island Inn when he purchased the Pink House in 1906.
An extensive program of renovation has taken place over the last number of years to upgrade all the interior spaces, adding private bathrooms, refurnishing all the rooms and suites but at the same time maintaining a sympathetic period style. The rooms have painted floors, original pieces of antique oak furniture and extremely comfortable new beds with down duvets and crisp white linens. The Inn respects a more simple way of life and no telephones or televisions are provided in the accommodations.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.